Monday, May 14, 2012

Largemouths, the basics


The newly acquired Daiwa Whisker Tournament Series SS1600 was only used three times before the line roller screw, a couple of washers, and the bail fell off.  Yes, while cranking in a lure, the reel suffered severe failure due to an apparent loose screw falling out.  It is my favorite medium size reel and I look forward to its return from the shop. Suffice it to say, I had to obtain a backup reel while the Daiwa gets repaired.  I'd like to introduce you to my backup reel, the Shimano Symetre 4000FJ, which is a magnificent reel.  It is by far one of the smoothest and most balanced reels I have used.  As soon as I got it home I spooled it up with some fluorocarbon line, and headed down the road on my bicycle with my wife to hit a couple of lakes and ponds. It was about an hour before dark, and we were both eager to wet a line as it had been a couple of days since we had gone fishing. Thirty five minutes and eight bass later, I was ready to call it a success.  We had fun.

No comments: