Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lunkers!


Another day has come and with it so have the bass.  My favorite setup, the watermelon lizard, works very well in the large lakes on a hot day when the bass head down into the deeper water.  You just pitch the lizard with a bullet shot into the deep and let it hit the bottom.  Once there, it's a little game of hop and stop.  Most of the bass I've been catching grab the lizard either as soon as it heads to the bottom or just after the first hop.  I like to set the hook quickly so that they can't swallow the hook.  They fight hard here and jump out of the water doing a magical tail walk.  One of the things I always do is safely remove the hook from the fish and not allow it to be out of the water for more than a minute.  Their mortality rate is very high in the days that follow dependent of where you hooked them.  My Jennifer showed up on her bicycle about twenty minutes of my arrival to the spot.  She was very happy taking pictures and watching me fish.  The sun finally set and the bugs started getting bad.  After 45 minutes and nine bass it was time to head home.  We had fun.

No comments: