Sunday, April 27, 2014

Get Paid to Cut Hair Part-Time!

Recently I began a campaign to post more frequently to the biting fish blog and quickly realized that being able to contribute to a blog means having the ability to readily retrieve ideas and information. Tonights blog idea was relatively simple. While showering this evening and thinking about tomorrow,  it occurred to me that I was in need of a haircut as is evidenced by the photo below. Even though my hair wasn't in as bad a shape as it could have been, it was still getting a little outside of my personal criteria.




This brings up an interesting topic. How much does a regular barbershop haircut cost, and how often do I need a haircut? After doing a little research I conclude that a normal mens haircut costs between $15-$20 plus a tip which I would value at $3-$5 per visit. I need my hair cut twice a month. Essentially this will cost me approximately $360-$480 per year for the service plus $72-$120 in gratuity that when averaged costs $516 per year. Roughly 20 years ago I decided to cut my own hair so I invested in a pair of hair cutting scissors, a decent comb, and clippers. Now I am not talking about a pure clipper cut that makes me look like a military recruit. I am talking about a real haircut.




I used the clippers for the side and back of my head making sure to taper the cut from a lower blade gauge to a higher blade gauge. Then the top of my hair is cut with a pair of scissors specifically designed for haircuts. The trimmer is then used for the edge of my sideburns as well as the back lower portion of my neck. The photo below was the end result of less than 10 minutes of actual work.


As you can see, the haircut didn't come out too bad, is fairly presentable, and saved me a little bit of money. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to drive to a barber, sit around waiting for my turn, and paying for the gas as well as the wear and tear on my vehicle. Unless of course I walk there, which I don't.

The beauty of todays blog post is obviously demonstrated by the handsome guy in the picture above. I have to snicker at that last sentence. The real beauty of this post is that in the twenty years that I have been cutting my own hair, I have saved around $10320. A big smile just overwhelmed me while writing ten thousand three hundred twenty dollars. It is so worth it, and at the end of the day, I again had fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this entry and so true! It has saved a lot of money and is a beneficial tip for anyone! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Looks good! I cut Robert's hair too! I won't let him cut mine though :-0