Wednesday, April 9, 2014

From Paper To Canvas

So the drawing was completed by the "Killustrator" which subsequently led to three separate sittings for a total of roughly 15 hours. The end result was amazing. First the line work for the Eagle was completed on the first sitting. I really have to share with you that JD compliments me for "sitting like a rock", but truth is, a full chest tattoo will really challenge your ability to manage pain. The line work was rough. Five hours of indescribable yet comfortable pain. I consider my trips to the tattoo shop a form of therapy and enjoy a wonderful nights sleep afterwards. The second visit resulted in close to six hours of much of the same type of pain, except JD went over and over the same spots with a wide variety of colors which resulted in a type of pain unlike the line work. The third visit was a four hour sitting and entailed the addition of the banner, shading, coloring, and some touch up on the Eagle. The banner has a German inscription that translates to "Unity and Justice and Freedom", and is the German National Motto adopted in 1788. Auf Deutsche "Einigkeit und Recht und Frieheit."


As you can see the piece is rather large, has a deep connection with my homeland, and speaks clearly about my feelings and position on unity, justice and freedom. Those are three fundamental qualities that I personally would like to see as universal human traits. The detail in the work is amazing and very telling of the level of skill JD has as an artist. Given that I live by "Go Big or Stay Home", this meets that criteria. Now that this piece is completed, I will have the tattoo on my arm finished up. There will be a German Flag draped behind the coat of arms. My opinion is that it will be strong as goats breath. Thanks a bunch JD Brosius, we certainly had fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the coloring on the Eagle. I think the blues are nice contrast colors to the skin. I really wish I could have gotten mine in color but it was not recommended by my artist. Hopefully I'll get to see them all in person when they are finished.